Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Quantum Theory and Software Testing - Any connection?

Atomic physics, Atomic structure and history of how all those brilliant scientists discovered (still discovering) atomic structure, electrons (dual nature of wave and particle) etc always fascinated me. More so now, than in my college days. Often I dream of going back to college days and debate with my teachers about stuff like atomic structure. It is tester in me, who curiously looks for finding some answers to questions that keep popping up in my mind.

I happen to pick up a book on quantum theory titled “In search of Schrodinger’s Cat” by John Gribbin. What attracted me is a quote attributed to famous scientist Niels Bohr, that appeared on the back cover of the book.

“Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it.”

I immediately applied it to current state of practice and perception about “software testing” and I would say

“Anyone who is not shocked by popular practice and theory of software testing has not understood it (especially the human element of it”.

I will be shocked when people make claims (what I call as "popular perceptions") about software testing such as “all testing should be documented, test cases are important for performing testing, test cases must be traceable to requirements, you cannot test without specifications, tester’s role is to find bugs, testing assures quality of the product, testing needs to be more process oriented than person dependent etc. I can say that those who are not shocked by such claims have not understood about software testing that relies on human elements (thinking, questioning, observations etc).

Quantum theory is fascinating so is software testing …. I am looking for more connections between these two … Can you help me? Or I am just dreaming?

Shrini

3 comments:

Shrini Kulkarni said...

I am glad that these comments and hence the post made to prestigious "Linda Wilkinson's 2008 software testing entertainment blog views".

http://www.practicalqa.com/2008/12/yakking-up-hairballs.html

"will be shocked when people make claims (what I call as "popular perceptions") about software testing such as “all testing should be documented, test cases are important for performing testing, test cases must be traceable to requirements, you cannot test without specifications, tester’s role is to find bugs, testing assures quality of the product, testing needs to be more process oriented than person dependent etc. I can say that those who are not shocked by such claims have not understood about software testing that relies on human elements (thinking, questioning, observations etc)."

Thanks Linda for your honor to me. I hope that I will be able to live to your expectation and grab most spots in next years "Linda Wilkinson's Software Testing Entertainment Awards 2009". Long wait and year has just begun.

Shrini

srinivas chillara said...

Oh Yes, haven't we all heard of bugs, which appear, disappear and re-appear! Or maybe I've understood s/w testing

EvNix said...

a bug appears only when you detect(measure) it :)
Otherwise it is just a probability(Might or might not appear to cause a failure)